How Do FHA 203Okay Loans Work
203k FHA Loans Explained
Are you thinking of buying a home that needs work? When purchasing a Fixer upper, one of your main considerations should be how you are going to fund the project. One of the better options is what is known as the FHA 203k loan.
FHA 203K mortgage is the term used to refer to financing for the purchase and renovation of your primary residence. It’s a more relaxed type of loan because the US government guarantees it.
The beauty of FHA 203k loans is that you can combine financing to buy a home and the cost of repairs and renovations. With this type of mortgage, you only need to get one loan instead of two.
Let’s take a look at everything you should know about this type of funding.
What Should You Know About The FHA 203K Mortgage?
When you need money to buy a home that your whole family can live in, refinance, or have that home remodeled and upgraded, the easy solution is to apply for an FHA 203K mortgage. It enables you to pay for the renovations in a loan.
An inexpensive financing option for many buyers. It can give you access to better living areas and increase the number of purchase options.
The good news is that the Federal Housing Administration guarantees these types of loans. This means that their conditions and qualification requirements tend to be milder.
You will need to follow the mortgage approval steps as you would for traditional loans, but you will need to include other things like renovation costs as well.
How does the FHA 203k mortgage work?
There are two variants of this type of financing. There is the standard FHA version and the restricted version, also known as “Streamline”. In both cases, you have the option of refinancing.
All FHA 203k loans have specific rules regarding the amount of loan you will approve for renovation. Remember, your home is eligible for upgrades. However, what you can do doesn’t include luxurious facilities like swimming pools or gazebos.
Here are the loan restrictions for each FHA mortgage version:
- For the FHA 203k standard: the renovation work must be at least $ 5,000. You can enter the most important structural measures that need to be completed on your restoration list. If you want to get a standard FHA 203k loan, you must first hire a HUD advisor to oversee all work on the project.
- For FHA 203k Limited: You can borrow up to $ 35,000 for the renovation. This version of the FHA 203k mortgage does not accept structural repairs for your home.
Here is a general list of the types of jobs you can cover with an FHA 203 (k) mortgage. Remember, this is only one of the choices and many others may qualify.
- Utilities improvements
- Improvements to make the home more aesthetically pleasing
- Eliminate safety and health problems
- Plumber, sewer work
- Repair or replacement of roof, downpipes, gutters
- Repair or replace flooring
- Landscaping improvements
- Disabled facilities
- Energy efficiency upgrades.
It is beneficial to start your renovation project right after you buy a home. Hence, you need to get a good deal with a contractor in advance. Each step involves paperwork and procedures that can take some time, and you only have six months to complete the project.
Do You Qualify For An FHA 203k Loan?
As mentioned earlier, this is a more relaxed loan compared to other common types. However, it is a very niche mortgage and the credit limits are not as permissive.
What do you need to qualify?
- A credit score of at least 500 points. This is the lowest minimum as some lenders have an even higher limit. You must have at least 500 score points if you want to have a good chance of getting this loan.
- The down payment for the FHA 203k loan also depends on your creditworthiness. From a rank of 580, the required down payment is only 3.5% of the loan. If the credit score is between 500 and 579, you will be asked for a 10% deposit. However, they do accept money as gifts from family and friends. Either way, you will benefit from homebuyer program support.
- The maximum amount that you can get through FHA 203k is $ 356,362 for low cost areas and $ 822,375 for luxury areas. You can contact a mortgage broker or lender for the maximum loan amount for your area.
- If you’ve experienced a foreclosure, you have no real chance of getting an FHA 203k mortgage, especially if you’ve experienced it anywhere in the past three years.
How do you get an FHA 203k?
There are a few standard steps that you need to follow:
- Work with an FHA approved lender. Follow all the traditional steps to get a mortgage.
- You will be verified so you will need to enter your Social Security number as well as any possible documents showing your steady income, creditworthiness and potential debts.
Choose your lender based on your current financial situation and needs. Each will meet a specific need in the market.
Should you apply for an FHA 203k?
The FHA 203 (k) mortgage is highly valued by those looking for a home, especially if there is still some renovation work to be done after the purchase. However, as with any other similar decision, there are always pros and cons that need to be analyzed before taking this step.
- The interest rate is lower than credit cards and personal loans;
- Covers mortgage payments for the entire renovation period;
- The requirements are a minimum, a small down payment and a certain creditworthiness.
- You must get FHA mortgage insurance for this type of rehab loan.
- With an FHA 203k rehab loan, you can only apply for your primary residence. Investment properties are not qualified.
- You will need to contact a HUD consultant and an experienced contractor for the renovation.
- You may find that the time to close is longer with this type of financing.
Final thoughts on FHA 203k loans
The FHA 203k Rehabilitation Loan is worth considering for anyone buying a home that needs work. As with any credit product, it is important to do your due diligence. You should now have a much better understanding of how an FHA 203k loan works. Good luck with your purchase and project.